Security is vital when it comes to booking a place to stay online. We want to help keep you safe, so here are six simple things to bear in mind when booking a holiday house:
- If you click a link in an email, check the website address you're being sent to. For Holiday Houses, the URL in the address bar will always start with http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/ or https://secure.holidayhouses.co.nz/.
- Never provide your credit card number or password by email.
- Never send money overseas. The vast majority of our house owners are based in New Zealand, so if you’re asked to send money to an offshore bank account you should think twice and Submit a Request.
- Upgrade your browser, as the latest versions of web browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox include anti-phishing features.
- Don't respond to pressure. Scammers use scare tactics and urgent language to trick you into handing over confidential data.
- If you see something dicey, let us know by getting in touch through the Submit a Request page.
For more information on keeping yourself safe, visit Trade Me’s 'Safe Computing Centre'.
And remember, if an offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is.